Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lavender Tulsi Mojito

One day last week I had some snags and I was feeling stressed, looking for herbs to 'destress'. Of course I thought of lavender first, but then I remembered Tulsi, or Holy Basil. This herb is phenomenal and I typically make a tincture of it from summer's harvest for use during the winter. 



One day last week I had some snags and I was feeling stressed, looking for herbs to 'destress'. Of course I thought of lavender first, but then I remembered Tulsi, or Holy Basil. This herb is phenomenal and I typically make a tincture of it from summer's harvest for use during the winter. I grow several types of holy basil (Ocimum sanctum); Krishna, Rama, Kapoor and Vana from seeds I bought from Horizon herbs. But I do have difficulty remembering which is which. I believe today I harvested Krishna and Rama. I also have to credit Tina Sams from The Essential Herbal for piquing my interest in Tulsi.

Tulsi is native to India and is often grown at Hindu shrines and temples where it is used for rituals. As an adaptagen and nervine herb I find it great to handle stress. I've also read it is great for respiratory disorders and cough so I will be sure to reach for that this winter when family members are ill.

To make the mojito I put a small clump of basil leaves and a few stalks of lavender buds in a stainless steel martini mixer along with about 2 teaspoons of sugar. Using a muddler, I muddled. You could also crush this in a mortar and pestle.  After muddling I added 3 shots of white rum and 2 shots of lime juice and a few ice cubes; then shook hard (give it your all and get some exercise with it!). Pour about a shot and a half worth into a wine glass and then fill with soda water. Relax and enjoy your drink and attitude adjustment. Let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails