Friday, October 29, 2010

Summer's End Sorrel Soup


Although my basil and tomatoes were hit by the frost this week, I noticed a large bundle of sorrel still growing nicely. I’ve always wanted to make sorrel soup so I thought I'd cut them and have the last of the summer’s dishes. Here is the recipe I used:

Sorrel Soup

2 tablespoons butter

1 chopped onion

2 cloves garlic chopped

1 bay leaf

3 sprigs of thyme

3 - 4 potatoes, chopped

4 cups vegetable broth

1 bunch of chopped sorrel with stems cut out (about 4-5 cups loosely packed)

Cook the onion in butter until clear, add garlic and continue cooking a few minutes. Add broth and potatoes along with bay leaf and thyme and cook until potatoes are soft (30 minutes or more). Add chopped sorrel and heat briefly. Blend with either a stick blender or by putting in a blender bowl. Return to cooking pot and add milk or cream to taste, about 1 cup. Heat through and serve.

I hope yo have enjoyed cooking with fresh vegetables this summer.

The Healthy Beauty Project Blog had a very nice piece on Colorado Aromatics products this week. Check it out.

http://www.healthybeautyproject.com/company-profiles/farm-fresh-herbal-products/

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails