Best Herbs for Health and Fighting Cancer
1. Rosemary – Contains many antioxidants such as carnosol. Antioxidants help prevent DNA damage leading to cancer. Carnosol and cineole may also help to detoxify certain carcinogens that can initiate the cancer process, especially breast, skin and lung. It is also great for the hair as a rinse and great in skin care to increase circulation. Use in soups, stews, meat or vegetables and bread.
3. Oregano - Contains farnesol, a phytochemical that has been shown to block the growth of skin cancer in mice. Also contains quercetin, an antioxidant, which may be protective against breast, ovarian and endometrial cancers. This herb is greatin Mexican or Italian dishes with chili, garlic, tomatoes and onions (all of which also have their own health benefits).
4. Ginger - The pungency in this herb is due to gingerol. When dried, zingerone is formed. Both have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. They are believed to suppress the growth of cancer cells by inducing cell death. This herb is used fresh in many Asian dishes. This makes a great tea when you are feeling under the weather too.
5. Parsley - Rich in polyacetylenes, which seem to protect against certain carcinogens found in tobacco smoke. It may also help to regulate the body's production of some prostaglandins which can be tumor promotors. Parsley is great in any salad and with tomatoes.
6. Mint – Contains limonene which is also found in citrus peels, cherries, and lavender. Studies suggest that this phytochemical can block the development of breast tumors and shrink them. Limonene is currently being used in clinical trials for the treatment of cancer. My favorite use of mint is a mojito!
7. Turmeric - Contains the yellow pigment curcumin. Curcumin is a good anti-inflammatory agent and can block cell proliferation in the colon that results in colon polyps and possibly colon cancer. In cell culture studies, curcumin has slowed the proliferation of prostate cancer cells. Curcumin can also help with inflammatory diseases like arthritis.